Site Map | Search |Merchant Fleet Main Page | Home 

D/S Idræt
Updated Nov. 1-2011

To Idræt on the "Ships starting with I" page.

Crew List

Pictures are available on this external website (click in them to make them larger).

Owner: Dampskib Idræt's A/S
Manager: Sverre Monsen, Stavanger
1068 gt, 1500 tdwt
Signal Letters: LCFY

Built in Stavanger in 1917 (info on her history can be found at the website that I've linked to above).

Captain: N. Breivik-Rød

Her voyages are listed on these original images from the Norwegian National Archives:
Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5

Please compare the above voyages with Arnold Hague's Voyage Record below.

Partial Voyage Record
From Sept.-1942 to Dec.-1942:

(Received from Don Kindell - His source: The late Arnold Hague's database).

Follow the convoy links provided for more information on each.

As can be seen, this record is incomplete.

Departure From To Arrival Convoy Remarks
1942 Sept. 8 Pilottown Tampa Sept. 11 PK 101 Earlier voyages, Page 1, Page 2 & Page 3
Pilottown to Tampa.
Convoy available at PK 101
(external link)
Compare w/Page 3
(also, missing voyages).
Sept. 20 Gitmo Cristobal Sept. 24 GZ 4 Convoy available at GZ 4
(external link)
Missing voyages, Page 4
Dec. 13 Key West Gitmo Dec. 16 KG 616 Convoy available at KG 616
(external link)
Subsequent voyages:
Page 4 & Page 5


From Page 1 of the archive documents, we learn that Idræt was in New Orleans when war broke out in Norway on Apr. 9-1940, having arrived there from Bluefields on Apr. 5. Her 1941 voyages are shown on Page 2 and Page 3. The latter document also lists some of her 1942 voyages, and it looks like she spent quite a long time in New Orleans that summer. She had arrived there from Miami on June 8; departure is given as Sept. 5, when she proceeded to Tampa. Page 4 has further 1942 voyages, as well as some 1943 voyages, which continue on Page 5.

 Aground - 1943: 

Idræt departed Puerto Barrios, Guatemala on Nov. 12-1943 with a cargo of bananas for Tampa, Florida, but ran aground at Chincorro Reef on Nov. 13. By the next day, leakage was discovered in the engine room and this worsened in the days to follow in spite of continuous pumping, until the water was level with the sea. During the next few days they attempted to refloat by throwing cargo overboard. They also sent distress messages repeatedly, but fearing that these had not been heard the motorboat was launched and manned by the 2nd mate, the 2nd engineer and 4 men in the afternoon of Nov. 16 in order to go to the nearest land. The next day a sailboat from Xcalac, Mexico came out to the ship to inform them that the motorboat had continued to Belize as there was no phone or any means of sending a telegram at Xcalac.

On Nov. 19, a tug was sent out by United Fruit Co. to inform them that nothing had been heard from the insurers, nor the owners. In order to prevent running out of provisions, 8 men were sent on board the tug and taken to Belize. On Nov. 21, the salvage vessel Killerig arrived and finally, on Nov. 24, after having dumped more cargo and following continuous pumping from the engine room and stoke room she was off the ground. That afternoon the tug from United Fruit Co. in Belize came out again. It was ordered to bring the crew back on board. Dumping of cargo and pumping continued, divers examined the vessel and a leak in the forward hold on the port side was fixed.

Those of the crew who had been in Belize were returned to the ship by the American minesweeper YMS 358 in the afternoon of Nov. 26, and 3 days later, on Nov. 29 Idræt was able to continue towards New Orleans (ordered to that port via a telegram), followed by the salvage vessel and the minesweeper. The latter 2 vessels left the ship that evening whereupon she proceeded alone, though not without problems. Her engine stopped several times due to water in the bunkers oil, so they used firewood to keep her away from the shore, with everyone helping to chop wood for the stoker room.

On Dec. 1 she was able to continue her voyage at full speed, and though the engine stopped again several times she eventually reached the inlet to New Orleans on Dec. 3. That afternoon, she anchored up near Pilot Town station and was subsequently ordered to continue to Mobile via Burwood for bunkers. Again her engine stopped, and again they fired up with wood. She arrived Burwood late that evening, bunkers was received and she continued to Mobile, Alabama with arrival in the evening of Dec. 4. The pumping still continued night and day until she on Dec. 5 was helped by tugs into Alabama Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co.

At the hearings, which were held on board on Dec. 13 while in Alabama Dry Dock, the captain stated that the main reason for the grounding was the fact that Sand Cay(?) Light had not been lit. Also, the current had been unusually strong between Turneffe Island and Chincorro Bank, following heavy weather for about a week. This had taken her about 10 miles west off course.

According to Page 5 of the archive documents, she was abandoned to underwriters on Dec. 17-1943.

Idræt was later sold to Mexico and continued to sail under the name Alacran. This external page has further Post War history, as well as excerpts from statements given at the hearings by the captain, the 1st mate, the 2nd mate, Able Seaman Anglin (at the wheel when she ran aground) and Able Seaman Growe (lookout on the bridge) - text is in Norwegian.

Crew List - No casualties:
According to this external page, Erik Eriksen had previously served on Teddy (when captured), Eidanger (when torpedoed) and Crawford Ellis. After the loss of Idræt, he joined Marpesia, later Kronprinsessen.

N. Breivik-Rød
1st Mate
Julius Jørgensen
2nd Mate
Thorleif Bryde
Able Seaman
Carmond Atwood
(West Indies)
Able Seaman
Isaac D. Edbanks
(West Indies)
Able Seaman
Willie G. Growe
(West Indies)
Able Seaman
Oddvar Jensen
Able Seaman/Gunner
Erik Eriksen
Able Seaman/Gunner
Peder Pedersen
Ordinary Seaman
Fossie Ebanks
(West Indies)
1st Engineer
Ingolf Nils Olsen
2nd Engineer
Asbjørn Christiansen
3rd Engineer
Hans Edward Olavessen
Harald Evensen
Fritz Olsen
Johan Borge
Ole Olsen Eide
Haakon Johansen
Karsten Hansen
Mess Boy
Julian Garcia

Back to Idræt on the "Ships starting with I" page.

Other ships by this name: According to Charles Hocking (listed in My Sources), Norway had lost a steamship by this name in the North Sea on March 10-1899, 12 crew drowned. Built 1873, 1067 gt - G. T. Monsen. Sverre Monsen also had a ship named Idræt after the war, acquired in 1949. This was originally D/S Fagerbro.

The text on this page was compiled with the help of: "Nortraships flåte", J. R. Hegland, "Sjøforklaringer fra 2. verdenskrig", Norwegian Maritime Museum, Volume I, and misc. (ref. My sources).


 Site Map | Search |Merchant Fleet Main Page | Home