To Ships in Allied Service starting with E

Norwegian Homefleet - WW II 
Ships starting with E

= the ship was sunk (or otherwise lost)
D/S = steam ship D/T = steam tanker
D/F = steam ferry M/S = motor vessel
M/T = motor tanker    M/F = motor ferry
M/K = motor cutter T/T = turbine tanker

Ea - Ek

Name of Ship
Shipping Company
M/S Eastern Foam
Steffen Næss, Haugesund
48 gt
Built in Lowestoft 1921.

Freighter. In Sweden at the beginning of the war, but returned to Norway in May-1940 (see my page Ships in Sweden).

Pre war history: Possibly built as fishing vessel Eastern Foam, sold at an unknown date to Steffen Næss, Hasseløy, Haugesund, (R-?-H). May have been rebuilt, date unknown. Used for herring fishing and also as freighter. Later owned by Hjalmar Næss, Hasseløy. May have been in Sweden because she had transported herring in barrels from the western part of Norway, which was common for vessels from the Haugesund area.

POST WAR : Departed Kristiansand on Jan. 4-1947 for Haugesund, but upon encountering bad weather it was decided to wait at Svinør until the morning of the 8th. The following day (9th) her engine failed just south of Langeboene off Lindesnes in heavy snow. Sails were set while trying to get the engine restarted, but to no avail. The strong easterly current caused her to drift too close to land and it was decided to drop anchor near some islets east of Våge, Lindesnes, but when doing so she ran aground. Some smaller vessels came to in order to try and get her refloated but after a couple of hours she sank in shallow waters. Most of her deck cargo floated up and was saved.

(Info received from T. Eriksen - his source: An old newspaper report).

D/S Edna
Det Bergenske Dampskibsselskab, Bergen
915 gt
Built in Sunderland 1905. Previous names: Chr. Gylstorff until 1913, Anund until 1921, Kjell until 1922.

Pre war history: Delivered in May-1905 from Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Sunderland, UK (229) as cargo vessel Chr. Gylstorff to D/S A/S Progress (Holm & Wonsild), Copenhagen, Denmark. Steel hull, 194.8’ x 32’ x 13.8’, 915 gt, 1275 tdwt, Tripple Expansion (NE Mar. Eng. Co. Ltd., Sunderland, UK) 123nhp, 9 knots. Sold in Apr.-1913 to Ångfartygs-AB Svithiod (H. Metcalfe), Gothenburg, Sweden, renamed Anund. Owned in 1920 by Rederi-AB Svenska Lloyd (same managers). Sold in 1921 to D/S A/S Kjell (H. H. Gjertsen), Oslo, renamed Kjell. Sold in June-1922 to D/S A/S Ryvarden (K. I. Bredsdorff & N. Chr. Sørensen), Kragerø. Sold in July that same year to Det Bergenske Dampskibsselskab, Bergen, renamed Edna and used in the company's cargo service between the south and north of Norway.

WW II: Edna sailed in Convoy HN 9A from Norway to the U.K. in Jan.-1940. She returned to Norway the following month with Convoy ON 12, which left Methil on Febr. 13, and later that month she joined Convoy HN 15, cargo of fresh fish for Newcastle (she had initially been in the previous convoy, HN 14, but returned to port). Early in March she joined Convoy ON 18, returning to the U.K. with Convoy HN 20, again with fresh fish for Newcastle. She subsequently went back to Norway at the very end of March with Convoy ON 24 and was still there when the Germans invaded on Apr. 9 - follow links for more info, several Norwegian ships took part in all these convoys.

In 1941 she was in cargo service between western Norway, northern Norway and eastern Finnmark, together with the company's Canis and Kora (other companies that had vessels in coastal service to eastern Finnmark found the risk of Russian aircraft attacks too great and cancelled all their sailings to this area). The Germans demanded that these sailings should take place in German convoys, so there was a lot of waiting involved, causing delays. Edna arrived Kirkenes on her first voyage in this run on Nov. 24-1941. In 1942 Edna and Canis made 2 voyages each, while Kora made 3, in 1943 Edna and Kora made 3 voyages each, Canis 1, and in 1944 all three vessels made 1 voyage each. These sailings were extremely important to the people living in this area.

NOTE: According to R. W. Jordan's records Edna was voyaging to and from Sweden in June-1944(?).

POST WAR: Sold in Aug.-1946 to Rederi-AB Hera (Albert Jansson Saltvik), Mariehamn, Finland. On March 7-1952, when on a voyage Thamshavn-Preston with wood pulp, she reported from position 61 30N 01 50E that the ship had to be abandoned. Edna and her crew subsequently disappeared.

(Majority of info from T. Eriksen, Norway - His sources: Articles about BDS in "Skipet" 1-2.88 by Dag Bakka Jr. and "Norges eldste Linjerederi, BDS 1851-1951" by Wilhelm Keilhau).

M/S Eidfjord
Hardanger Sunnhordlandske Dampskibsselskab, Bergen
162 gt
Built in Bergen 1935.

Pre war history: Delivered in Apr.-1935 from Mjellem & Karlsen, Bergen as Eidfjord to Hardanger Sunnhordlandske Dampskibsselskab, Bergen. Steel hull, 104,6’ x 20,6’ x 10’, 162 gt, 4cyl 2tev Wichmann 240bhp, 10 knots. Used in the tourist trade Norheimsund-Ulvik in the summertime (taking over from the company's Granvin).

WW II: Captain Hartvig Waldemar Meidel (? See "Note" under Søndhordland). When Norway was attacked on Apr. 9-1940 Eidfjord was in inner Hardanger. Requisitioned as troop transport for Norwegian soldiers together with Granvin and Hordaland. On the night leading up to Apr. 25 Eidfjord and Granvin were transporting soldiers from Kinsarvik to Granvin, when 5 German MTB's attacked the Norwegian forces at Ulvik. Eidfjord was seized as a war prize, while Granvin managed to get out before the attack. The company contested the legality of the Germans' actions, and in the end the Germans requisitioned the ship and kept it for the rest of the war.

POST WAR: Returned in May-1945 in bad state of repair. Extensively overhauled at Frydenbø Slip, Damsgård in Bergen in July that year and returned to service in Sept. Used in the tourist traffic Odda-Granvin in the summer of 1949, then Odda-Norheimsund in the summer of 1950, Norheimsund-Ulvik 1953. In regularly scheduled local service in Sunnhordland in the wintertime (the company's Tysnes, which normally took care of this run, was usually laid up in the wintertime). Rebuilt and modernized in 1955, 195 gt. In 1958 the tourist route was temporarily discontinued. In 1962 she was in the tourist traffic Norheimsund-Ulvik (the trading having started up again in 1961 with Halsnøy). Eidfjord took over the local Sunnhordland route (Leirvik-Mosterhamn-Valevåg-Leirvik-Halsnøy-Sunde) from Tysnes in 1963 (Tysnes was sold). Placed in local service in Austevoll and Fitjar in 1969. Taken out of service in Sept.-1973, and sold in Dec. that year to Tartan Arrow (Marine) Ltd., London, renamed Tartan Arrow II. Sold in 1975 to Sewell & Leather-Barrow, Esperance, Australia and used as yacht. Seen on Mallorca in 1979. Sold at some point to R. S. Dymond, UK, used as yacht. Later sold to Gordon Bruce & Helen Bridland, UK, still used as yacht, mostly in the Mediterranean. Sold in 1981 to Garry Lake Shipping Co. Ltd., Limassol, Cyprus and renamed Gianna Maria.

(Facts on this vessel received from T. Eriksen, Norway - his sources: "Fjordabåten" by Dag Bakka Jr., 1994, "Over Fjord og Fjell, HSD 1880-1980" by Bård Kolltveit 1980, "Båtene våre, -hvor ble de av?", Dag Bakka Jr. for Bergens Tidende, 1984?).

D/S Eira
Møre Fylkes Ruteselskap, Molde
132 gt
Built in Christiania (Oslo) 1896.

Attacked by allied aircraft outside Ålesund on Oct. 24-1944 and badly damaged. 14 died.

Picture of Eira - Received from Kåre Aasebø.

Related external link:
Casualties - This website says 2 died. Seaman Johan J. Farstad and Mate Bernt Hurlen are commemorated.

D/S Eira
Øygardsbåtane L/L, Hjelme (Bergen)
ca. 88 gt
Built in Trondhjem 1891.

Pre war history: Delivered in 1891 from Trondhjems Mek. Værksted, Trondheim (56) as local passenger/cargo vessel Eira to Romsdals Dampskibsselskab, Molde. Steel hull, 72.2’ x 14.9’ x 7.2’, 90.56 gt, 2cyl Compound (TMV), 133 ihp. In regularly scheduled passenger/cargo service in Romsdal. Registered for 184 passengers. Sold in May-1896 to Sandnæs, Stavanger & Høgsfjords Dampskibsselslab, Sandnes, in local passenger/cargo service Stavanger-Høgsfjord together with the company's Oscar II. Registered in Stavanger Oct.-1903. From 1906, Sandnes, Stavanger-Høgsfjord Dampskipsselskap A/S, Sandnes. Rebuilt, 96 gt. Requisitioned by the Royal Norwegian Navy in March-1915 as neutrality "guard" at Odderøy Fortress off Kristiansand, but proved to be unsuitable and was replaced that same year by Stavangerske Dampskibsselskab's Haukelid. Owning company was dissolved in Nov.-1924 and Eira was sold to Harald Eide, Fiskå in Ryfylke. Subsequently in local service Årdal-Nessa-Nord Skår-Sør Skår-Fiskå-Vervik-Kjøllevik-Alsvik-Tau-Stavanger. In May-1925 she was owned by Harald Eide, Fiskå & Kristen Warland, Strand in Ryfylke, same service. Sold in 1928 to A/S Jøsenfjord, Stavanger. Sold again in Jan.-1931 to Hjelme & Herlø Dampskibsselskap, Hjelme in Øygarden (Bergen) with the intention of having her named Sotra I, but this did not happen. Used in regulalry scheduled service Bergen-Øygarden-Hernar. Rebuilt in 1933, 72.2’ x 14.9’ x 7.2’, 88.77 gt.

WW II: Owning company changed its name to Øygardsbåtane L/L, Hjelme in Øygarden in 1940.

POST WAR: Sank at Blomvåg, Askøy on March 30-1947. Raised and extensively repaired. Laid up in 1950, then sold in May-1952 to Stavanger Skips-Ophugnings Co. A/S, Buøy (Stavanger breakers), then sold again that same month to Brødrene Bjørneviks Motorverksted, Buøy and rebuilt to freighter by owner at Buøy, 72.2’ x 14.6’ x 7.8’, 79.08 gt., 6cyl 4tev MWM 270bhp (1926, with extra engine from the German cruiser Köningsberg which had been sunk at Bergen harbour during the war, and which Stavanger Skips-Ophugnings Co. A/S had been breaking up). Sold in Oct.-1952 to the company Eira (Joh. Ing. Johansen, Svolvær) Stavanger. Drifted ashore near Skjervøy, Kvænangen (Troms) on Dec. 8-1952 due to engine failure, voyage Måløy-Finnmark with herring. Crew was saved. Converted to motor vessel in 1933?

(Info from T. Eriksen Norway - His sources: "Fjordabådane" by Magnus Torgersen,1981, article about Sandnæs-Stavanger-Høgsfjord D/S in "Skipet" 2.91 by Arne Ingar Tandberg, article about A/S Jøsenfjord Rutelag in "Skipet" 2.91 by Alf Johan Kristiansen and Per Alsaker, "Fjordabåten" by Dag Bakka Jr., 1994, and "Bergenske Fjordabåter", Dag Bakka Jr. for Bergens Tidende 1974).

M/K Eitrheim
Ingvald Opedal, Odda
68 gt
Built Sniltveitsøy 1937.

Pre war history: Delivered in 1937 from Gjert Eidsviks Skipsbyggeri, Sniltveitsøy in Hardanger, Norway as Eitrheim to Ingvald Opedal, Odda. Wooden hull, 72,9’ x 18,4’ x 8,3’, 68 gt., 2cyl 2tev semi diesel of unknown type. Used in the local passenger/cargo traffic Odda-Eitrheim-Tyssedal.

WW II: New engine installed in 1944, 2cyl 2tev Wichmann 100bhp

POST WAR: Sold in July-1956 to Bjarne M. Neset, Harald Simlenes & Johannes Røyrvik, Arnafjord in Sogn / Bergen. On hire to Fylkesbaatane i Sogn & Fjordane and in service in Sogn, primarily around Høyanger. About 1976 she was owned by Johannes Røyrvik, Vik in Sogn, service in Sogn. Sold in Sept.-1983 to P/r Bergen Fjordservice (Dag Robert Dahl, Bergen), used in the Bergen area (charter service). Later sold to unknown owner in Oslo and used in Oslofjord (charter).

(From T. Eriksen, Norway - his sources: "Fjordabåten" by Dag Bakka Jr., 1994 and "101 Fjordabåtar, FSF 1858-2000" by Magnus Helge Torvanger, 2000).

D/S Ek
Fred Olsen & Co., Oslo
995 gt
Built Christiania (Oslo today) 1911. (A/S Ganger Rolf, owner).

Although not listed, it looks like Ek was briefly in Convoy HN 7 from Norway to the U.K. in Jan.-1940, but according to an original report received from Erling Skjold, Norway, she collided with the guardboat Oster on Jan. 9 (the day of the convoy's departure). She did not receive any damages and could continue to the U.K., but may have been delayed enough by the collision that she did not catch up with the convoy. Early the following month, she's listed in the U.K.-Norway Convoy ON 10, and in March we find her in Convoy HN 17 from Norway, bound for Grangemouth with general cargo. She returned to Norway later that month with Convoy ON 22 - several Norwegian ships took part in all these convoys, as will be seen when following the links.

Under German control from April-1940 (taken as prize in Bergen, Apr. 9? 1st mate and radio operator at the time was Stewart Olaf Tvedten). Reported voyaging Norway-Netherlands in June 1943 and Oct.-1944.

Picture of Ek - Received from, and painted by, Jan Goedhart, Holland.

POST WAR: Taken over in 1948 by D/S A/S Ganger Rolf (manager Fred Olsen), extensively modernized and renamed Bykle. Sold in 1954 to Ragnar Natvig & Co and renamed Arabo. Sold in 1960 to Belgian breakers and arrived Boom March 2-1960 to be broken up.

(Main source: E-mail from R. W. Jordan).

Related external link:
Fred Olsen & Co. today

Norway (Rederiet Odfjell, Bergen) had a ship named Ek later on, delivered as such in 1963, 2791 gt. Later names: St. Panteleimon 1974 (Monrovia), Michelle F 1975, Chiquita 1978. Broken up.

D/S Ekenes
Brødrene Olsen A/S, Stavanger
3601 gt
Built 1917.

A visitor to my site, Marek Twardowski, has told me the following re her WW II and post war history:
"The Ekenes is former Greek Ioannis Carras built 1917 by Campbeltown SB as Lady Charlotte. In 1920 she became Southsea, renamed Ioannis Carras in 1930. On 6 September 1939 she was scuttled in Gdynia by Polish Navy as a blockship, raised in October 1939 by Germans, repaired and returned to owners. On 9.04.1940 she collided with a wreck and arrived in Stavanger. Forbidden by the Germans to sail, she was kept there until 15.04.1941, when she was taken over by Kriegsmarine. She was renamed Storhaug by Brødrene Olsen, who either bought her, or just managed the ship on behalf of Kriegsmarine. In September 1941 the Olsens renamed her as Ekenes and operated her until end of 1943. Afterwards she was taken over by Partenreederei "Patria" of Hamburg and renamed Komet.

Picture of Ekenes - Received from, and painted by, Jan Goedhart, Holland.

POST WAR: Taken over by the Allies in May 1945, she went to Methil in June 1946 and later was given to Norwegian Government as Ekenes. In 1946 she returned to Greece as Spyridon II. In 1947 she was renamed Bellavista (Panama) and on 29.07.1948 she was lost when ran aground off Foul Craig in Orkneys".

M/S Ekspress
Det Stavangerske Dampskibsselskab, Stavanger
51 gt
Built in Stavanger 1937.

Pre war history: Delivered on June 9-1937 from Det Stavangerske Dampskibsselskab's yard at Klaseskjæret, Stavanger as Ekspress to Det Stavangerske Dampskibsselskab, Stavanger. Steel hull, "sea bus", 94.3’ x 15.1’ x 5.2’, 51 gt. 6cyl 4tev MAN dm 182 bhp, 13.5 knots. Designed by Ludvig Thorsen who later became the company's technical manager. Norway's first "sea bus", painted pale yellow from the sealine and up, like Ekspress II and Fjorddrott. On June 10-1937 she was placed in regularly scheduled service in Ryfylke (taking over D/S Fjordbuen's route Stavanger-Tau-Jørpeland). Moved to the Stavanger-Sandeid service on June 15-193?, occasionally Stavanger-Jørpeland-Tau and Stavanger-Rennesøy.

Picture of Ekspress: Source: T. Eriksen.

WW II: Requisitioned by the Germans on Apr. 13-1940, in use as Ekspress I.

POST WAR: Returned in May-1945, repaired and rebuilt, larger wheelhouse, and sun deck - 63 gt., 2x 4tev Grey Marine dm. Back in Stavanger-Sandeid service in 1946 (painted white), alternating later with runs to Vatlandsvåg and Steinnesvåg. Renamed Snøgg in May-1961 (because the company's new Hydrofoil was to have the name Ekspressen). Sold in Febr.-1971 to Lars Hovland & Co., Jørpeland and used as transport in connection with owner's yard at Jørpeland. Sank alongside the quay near Barkved, Jørpeland in the winter of 1975, later raised. Sold on Jan. 4-1977 to Br. Anda, Hundvåg, Stavanger for breaking up.

(Info from T. Eriksen - His source: Articles about Stavangerske D/S in "Skipet" 2.90 and 1.91 by Alf Johan Kristiansen).

M/S Ekspress II
Det Stavangerske Dampskibsselskab, Stavanger
58 gt
Built in Stavanger 1938.

Pre war history: Delivered in the spring of 1938 from Det Stavangerske Dampskibsselskab's yard at Klaseskjæret, Stavanger as Ekspress II to Det Stavangerske Dampskibsselskab, Stavanger. Steel hull, "sea bus", 95.5’ x 15.1’ x 5.7’, 58 gt - 6cyl 4tev MAN dm 182 bhp, 13.5 knots. Designed by Ludvig Thorsen who later became the company's technical manager. Like Ekspress and Fjorddrott she was painted pale yellow from the sealine and up. Placed in regularly scheduled service in Ryfylke on June 10-1938, replacing Ekspress above in the Stavanger-Sandeid service while she was at a yard.

WW II: Requisitioned by the Germans on Apr. 15-1940 and used as transport (personell). Was nearly lost around 1941 when she got a wire in her propeller near Haugesund in heavy weather but was saved by a German patrolboat.

POST WAR: Returned in May-1945, repaired and rebuilt, 85 gt., 2x 4tev Grey Marine dm. Returned to Stavanger-Tau-Jørpeland service (painted white), alternating with voyages Stavanger-Sandeid in the winter of 1947/1948. Renamed Strand in Dec.-1949. In service Stavanger-Rennesøy, also to Sjernarøyane and Steinnesvåg, later back to Stavanger-Tau-Jørpeland. Renamed Hidle on Dec. 3-1965 (the company got a new ship that was to have the name Strand). Laid up on May 10-1966. Sold on Jan. 2-1968 to Br. Anda, Hundvåg, Stavanger, breaking up completed on Febr. 3-1968.

(From T. Eriksen - His source: Articles about Stavangerske D/S in "Skipet" 2.90 and 1.91 by Alf Johan Kristiansen).

to top of page

D/S Eldrid *
Bachke & Co., Trondheim
1712 gt
Built in Oslo, Norway 1915.

Delivered in Nov.-1915 from Nylands Verksted A/S, Oslo as Eldrid (248) to D/S A/S Eldrid (Bachke & Co.), Trondheim. 1712 gt, 998 net, 2799 tdwt, 265' 1" x 40' 2" x 17' 2 1.2", Triple exp. steam engine, 1050 ihp.

WW II: Eldrid, in ballast for Blyth, is listed in Convoy HN 10B from Norway to the U.K. in Febr.-1940, returning to Norway at the end of that month with Convoy ON 16. In March she's listed in Convoy HN 18, bound for Newcastle in ballast. Eldrid went back to Norway again at the end of March with Convoy ON 22, and was still there when the Germans invaded on Apr. 9. Follow links for more info on these convoys, several Norwegian ships took part.

Damaged in Narvik, Norway on April 10-1940 (the day after the German invasion of Norway - or: did this take place on Apr. 13, during the 2nd attack on Narvik?). According to Bachke & Co.'s fleet list Eldrid was damaged by British warships while waiting to load cargo. Scuttled by the Germans on May 5-1940.

Painting of Eldrid - Received from, and painted by, Jan Goedhart, Holland.

Bachke & Co. had lost 4 ships during WW I (50% of its fleet), namely Dag, Turid, Djerv and Herdis, while Inger, Dacapo, Mildrid and Eldrid made it through. The company had another Eldrid later on, delivered in Apr.-1975, built in Gdansk, 1999 gt. Became Panamanian Drid in June-1983, Yugoslavian Ploce in 1984, Costas S 1995 (Panama) - still in service in 2005.

M/S Elieser
Den Indre Sjømannsmisjon, Bergen
378 gt
Built 1939.

Hospital ship.

D/S Elisa
Henrik J. Fasmer, Alvøen
44 gt
Built in Bergen 1879.

Pre war history: Delivered in Febr.-1879 from L. Hermansens Verksted, Møhlenpris, Bergen as Elisa. Iron hull, 52,7’ x 13,7’ x 7,7’, 35 gt., 2cyl Compound. Sold in 1880 to F. Frick, Bergen (?). Sold in Dec.-1884 to factory owner Henrik J. Fasmer, Alvøen / Bergen. Somewhat modernized, 34,87 gt. Used as tug and for pleasure trips. Placed in regularly scheduled service Alvøen-Breivik-Gjerdingsnes-Godvik-Bergen in June 1885, with goods and cargo for Fasmer's paper factory, but also carrying passengers. New engine installed at Alvøen Papirfabriks Mek. Verksted, Alvøen in 1891, 2cyl Compound (?). Lengthened at Bergens Mek. Verksted, Solheimsviken, Bergen in 1907, 64,7’ - 44,04 gt.

Old postcard showing Elisa in Bergen - from Bjørn Milde's postcard collection.

WW II: Continued in regular service throughout the war(?).

POST WAR: Sold in July-1947 to P/r Bernhard Olsen & Birger Sandtorv, Bjorøyhamn / Bergen. Converted to freighter (by 1954), 64,7’ x 13,9’ x 7’, 45 gt, a diesel motor of unknown type installed, 150bhp (1941). Entered service as Hvite Sektor (fishery No. H-222-F) in 1948. Sold in Nov.-1958 to P/r Kristoffer M. & Jacob K. Skurtveit, Rossland / Bergen. Laid up in Rosslandsvågen at some point and eventually fell into a bad state of repair. Deleted for Norwegian registeres as condemned in March-1977.

(Info from T. Eriksen, Norway, misc. sources).

D/S Elling *
Eilert Østbø, Stavanger(?)
181 gt
Built 1905. Previous name: Yngve.

If I understand the available info correctly Yngve appears to have been built for A. Edgren, Eskilsäter, 98.4 x 22.7 x 9.3 C2cyl. Seffle MV. Later owners were J. Larson, Gothenburg, then A/S Tromsö D/S Rederi, Tromsö (J.Hustad), then Maritima Handels AB, Stockholm. Brødrene Møen, Nidaros were owners when she was renamed Elling.

Sank at Lindesnes on Apr. 7-1940 when on a voyage from Oslo to Stavanger having developed a leak. Raised and repaired and renamed Vestkap. Drifted ashore at Stokmarknes on Dec. 29-1944 in stormy weather, total loss.

(All details on this vessel were taken from a thread on my Ship Forum).

D/S Else Marie *
Sophus Schanche, Bergen
1885 gt
Built at Superior, Wisconsin 1917: Previous names: Cleveland 1917. Later Ange Schiaffino, then Gungner until 1933.

Pre war history: Built by Superior Shipbuilding Co., Wisconsin as Cleveland, for Knut Knutsen O.A.S.?, but sold to Bergen upon delivery in March. Later Ange Schiaffino, then Gungner until 1933 before returning to owners in Bergen? ("Våre gamle skip", Leif M. Bjørkelund & E. H. Kongshavn gives the tonnage 2044 gt).

WW II: Under German Control from May-1940. Bombed and sunk on July 7-1942 by Russian aircraft near Vardø, on a voyage Kirkenes-Germany with iron ore. 13 died, the following names were found in "Minner og minnesmerker fra 1940-1945" by Øistein Wiik (in alphabetical order): Trimmer Alf Sigurd Andersen, Captain Birger August Bergersen, Cook Karl August Bognø, Steward Gustav Ekeland, Engineer Herman Hermansen, 2nd Mate Einar Hjelbakk, Pilot Håkon Kristian Mathisen, Steward Lars Johan Svendsen Nordal, Seaman Olaf Alfred Skjørlid, Stoker Ervind Ragnvald Stisen.

Related external links:
Stavern Memorial commemorations

Historical Index of the Great Lakes has a picture of this ship when named Cleveland. Type "Cleveland" in the field for 'vessel', then on the page that comes up, scroll down to 'Cleveland', Norway and click in the little box with the item number. The next page has technical details on the ship and a picture thumbnail - clicking on the thumbnail will bring up the photo. Or, typing 'Norway" in the search field for 'Registry' will bring up other Norwegian vessels listed on the site.

En - Ey
D/S Ena
Brødrene Anda, Stavanger
785 gt
Built at Bath, Maine, 1905. Previous names: Frances Hyde, Mary Tamplin and Joyce French.

Wooden auxiliary three-masted schooner. Under German control from April-1940, reported at Haugesund in Aug.-1943 and at Bergen Jan.-1945.

(Source: E-mail from R. W. Jordan).

D/S Enid

Bachke & Co.,Trondheim
2062 gt
Built in Trondheim 1941.

Launched by Trondhjems mek. Verksted, Trondheim as Enid (212) on Apr. 26-1941 (ordered May 6-1939), laid up in Trondheim, then towed to Verrabotn on Oct. 16-1941 to be laid up.

POST WAR: On Sept. 19-1945 she was towed back to the shipyard in Trondheim, and in Nov.-1946 delivered to A/S Djerv, A/S Herdis and A/S Turid (Bachke & Co.), Trondheim. 2062 gt, 1115 net, 3580 tdwt, 302' 9" x 43' 11" x 20' 4 1/2", Compound steam engine (4 cyl.) by yard, 1500 ihp, 11 knots. Converted to open shelter decker at Howaldtswerke, Hamburg in 1949. Sold in 1963 to Dikoutsas & N. Grigoriou, Piræus and renamed Amalia. Sold in 1966 to Cia. Navigation Gold Fish S. A., Panama, no name change. Beached off Ijmuiden Nov./Dec.-1968 following a fire. Refloated, towed to Amsterdam, but due to heavy damages she was broken up.

NOTE: There's also a D/S Enid listed in the other section.

(Source: Bachke & Co. fleet list, Finn R. Hansen).

Enid III was delivered in Dec. 1972, built Gdansk, 1999 gt. Panamanian Rommy in 1977, Eggli 1983, Sommy 1983, Romeo 1987, Steinfalk 1988 - back to Norway in Nov.-1989 and renamed Anglo for K/S A/S Arunto, Storesund Rederi, Haugesund. Still in service 1995, 2009 gt.

D/S Engøy *
Stavanger Skibsophugnings Co. A/S, Stavanger
126 gt
Built in Steinkjær 1882. Previous names: Norma, then Kubben, Bruundahl 1933, Brundahl 1937.

Norma was owned by A/S Norma, Stenkjær, later Linnerud & Breien, Christiania. Kubben was owned by A/S Kubben, Bergen (P.Bruun). Owned in 1924 (when Bruundahl) by H. E. Brevik & I. Bernholdt, Fredrikstad, and in 1929 by Kr. Vike, Vikebukt, Molde. Brundahl appears to have been owned by A/S Borgund Bruk, Aalesund (see thread on my Ship Forum starting here)

Stavanger Skibsophugnings Co. A/S were breakers, so it appears she was sold to them in 1937, but not broken up. Still owned by them when she struck a mine and sank at Sunnfjodleia on March 6-1943.

D/S Erdal * (as Sydnes)
Askøy Dampskibsselskab, Askøy
55 gt
Built in Bergen 1866. Previous names: Fridtjof until 1904, Flesland until 1908, Lepsøy until 1921.

Pre war history: Delivered in May-1866 from Bergens Mek. Verksted, Bergen as Fridtjof to Bergens Dampbaadelag, Bergen. Steel hull, 56,8’ x 12,3’ x ?, 36 gt, 2cyl Compound 9nhk. In regularly scheduled local service Bergen-Salhus-Ostereidet-Kvalvågnes in Lindås. Company was dissolved Dec.-1872 and its vessels and routes sold (J.Næsgaard, Bergen), Erdal continued in the same service. Sold in Dec.-1879 to Ytre Nordhordlands Dampskibsselskab, Bergen en-bloc with Helene and used in the Bergen-Manger-Lindås, Bergen-Ask-Frekhaug and Bergen-Herdla route. Rebuilt and lengthened at Møhlenpris Mek. Verksted, Bergen at some point in the 1880's, 67,2, 43 gt. Put up for sale in Sept.-1886, but probably not sold until 1889, at which point she went to Askøens Dampskibsselskab (Henrik D. Grøn, Bergen). Rebuilt, delivered in Febr.-1890 and entered regularly scheduled service Bergen-Askøy (Florvåg-Kleppestø-Strusshamn-Haugland-Tveitevåg, occasionally Geitanger-Kolltveit).New engine installed in 1897 at Sandbrogadens Mek. Verksted, Bergen, 2cyl Compound (Sandbrogadens M.V.) 13nhk.

Following bankruptcy of owning company in 1903 she was taken over by Askøens Aktie-Dampskibsselskab (Henrik Knudsen, Bergen). Sold in the spring of 1904 to Det Midthordlandske Dampskibsselskab, Os (Bergen), renamed Flesland, service Bergen-Flesland-Hjellestad-Lysekloster. Extensively rebuilt and modernized in 1908 at Laxevaag Maskin & Jernskibsbyggeri. Registered for 127 passengers, 67,2’ x 14,7’ x ?, 55 gt. Entered service as Lepsøy in May-1908. Sold in Jan.-1918 to Engel Dybevig, Strandvik, Fusa. Sold in Dec.-1921 to Askøy Dampskibsselskab, Askøy and renamed Erdal, service Bergen-Askøy, mostly used in the summertime.

WW II: Sold in Jan.-1941 to Hans Storaas, Bergen and converted to fishing vessel. Entered service as Sydnes that same year. Sprang a leak on Sept. 2-1941 and sank on a voyage Bergen-Nordland.

(All details on this vessel received from T. Eriksen, Norway - his source: "Bergenske Fjordabåter" by Dag Bakka Jr. for Bergens Tidende 1974).

M/S Erfjord
A/S Jøsenfjord Ruteselskap, Stavanger
133 gt
Built in Kristiansand 1904. Previous name: Gulos until 1936.

Pre war history: Delivered in Oct.-1904 from Christiansands Mek. Værksted, Kristiansand (113) as Gulos to Gulosens Aktie Dampskibsselskab (Ole J. Risstad), Byneset / Trondheim. Steel hull, 90.8’ x 17,2’ x 7,5’, 108 gt, 2cyl Compound (CMV) 37nhp 185ihp. In regularly scheduled service in Trondheimsfjord. In 1911 the owning company changed its name to A/S Gulosens Dampskibsselskab (same manager). Rebuilt and lengthened at Baklandet Mek. Verksted, Trondheim in 1913, 102.9’ x 17.2’ x 7.5’, 133 gt. Sold in Aug.-1930 to A/S Riskafjord (Tobias Hogstad), Hommersåk (near Stavanger), in regularly scheduled service Stavanger-Riska but proved unsuitable for this service in that she was too big and too tall for all the quays. Furthermore, she also had a large hold and several cabins, which was quite unnecessary for such short voyages, so she was generally used only during the week ends in the summertime, when "city folk" wanted to go from Stavanger to their cabins at Riskalandet; otherwise laid up near Hommersåk. In 1930 she was considered for use in a route from Stavanger to Odda that Claus Høie attempted to get started, but the owners wished to have her available for the week ends so nothing came of this.

Sold in Febr.-1936 to A/S Jøsenfjord Ruteselskap, Stavanger. Rebuilt - with a bridge and "glass veranda" in her entire width on the boatdeck. Leased to Rogaland Ruteselskap A/S in the spring of 1936 for use in the Stavanger-Sandeid-Åmsosen route while that company's Vindafjord was at a yard. At Easter 1936 she was placed in the local Stavanger-Ryfylke run, and served the Stavanger-Foreneset-Erfjord areas regularly for many years, extended to Vadla in the summertime. Renamed Erfjord in Nov.-1936. In the morning of Dec. 28-1937 she was en route from Vatlandsvåg to Stavanger in heavy fog when she ran aground at Foldøy in Ryfylke. When attempting to refloat herself she slid off and sank by the stern in shallow waters, probably because a porthole had been left open. Raised on Jan. 31-1938 by Achilles and Jason, then repaired at Rosenberg Mek. Verksted, Stavanger.

WW II: Rebuilt in 1940; a 4cyl 2tev Wichmann 200bhp motor installed by M. Haldorsen & Sønner, Rubbestadneset, Bømlo (having been towed there by the company's Saudafjord), about 10 knots.

POST WAR: Owning company changed its name in 1947 to A/S Jøsenfjord Rutelag, Stavanger. Sold on Nov. 26-1969 to Br. Anda, Stavanger for breaking up, but not broken up until 1975. Deleted from Norwegian register on Nov. 5 that year.

(Info received from T. Eriksen, Norway - His source: Article about A/S Jøsenfjord Rutelag in the Norwegian magazine "Skipet" 2.91 by Alf Johan Kristansen and Per Alsaker, article about A/S Riskafjord in "Skipet" 3.91 by Hagbart Lunde and Thor B. Melhus, and the book "Fjordabådane" by Magnus Torgersen, 1981).

D/S Erling Jarl * raised, renamed
Det Nordenfjeldske Dampskibsselskab, Trondheim
737 gt
Built in Trondheim 1895.

See my page D/S Erling Jarl for more history of this ship, as well as a picture and details on her fate.

D/S Erling Lindøe *

Peder Lindøe & Co. A/S, Haugesund
1281 gt
Built in Alblasserdam, Holland, delivered in June-1917.

Follow this link to my page D/S Erling Lindøe for more information, and a picture of the ship.

D/S Erling Skjalgson *
Eilert Østbø, Hundvåg (Stavanger)
previously Brødrene Anda
147 gt
Built in Tranmere 1891 (made of wood).

On a voyage from Stavanger to Fredrikstad on Dec. 19-1940 with a cargo of herring oil when she started taking in water in the engine room. She eventually sank that same day between Raudna and Sirevåg, All 6 on board were rescued by a fishing vessel.

D/S Eros *
Rasmus F. Olsen, Bergen
974 gt
Built in Arendal 1922.

Eros is listed in Convoy HN 6 from Norway to the U.K. in Dec.-1939/Jan.-1940. In the middle of Jan.-1940 she joined Convoy ON 8 from the U.K. to Norway, and in Febr. she sailed in Convoy HN 11. Early in March we find her in the U.K.-Norway Convoy ON 17A, and later that month she joined Convoy HN 20, bound for Middlesbrough with ore. She subsequently returned to Norway with Convoy ON 25 in Apr.-1940 - follow links for more convoy info; several Norwegian ships took part in all of them.

Attacked by 3 British aircraft north of Egersund on Oct. 14-1941, 1 n. mile west of Svåholmen. Drifted towards shore and ran aground, total loss, but no casualties.

Norway had also lost a steamship by this name in 1918. Built in Bergen in 1900 for Carl Konow, Bergen, 1122 gt. Requisitioned by the Admiralty in 1917, owned by the Shipping Controller and managed by Fisher, Renwick & Co. when torpedoed and sunk by the German UB 113 on Aug. 17-1918, voyage Tyne-Rouen with coal, crew of 21. 4 were killed, including Captain K. Madsen. (Info from "The Comprehensive Guide to Shipwrecks of the East Coast 1918 to 2003" by Ron Young).

M/K Ethel May
J. Jørgensen A/S, Finnsnes
71 gt
Built in Brixham, UK 1893.

Pre war history: Built as sailing vessel/cutter Ethel May for unknown owner, made of wood. Measurements given as 67’ x 18,5 x 19,1’(at some point in her history). Sold in 1909 to A/S Ethel May (Alexander Andersen), Vesterø. Sold again in 1916 to Didrik Pedersen, Vega. Sold 1919 to P/r /Johan Wilmann, Trondheim. Owned by Albert Lorentsen, Henset 1934. Sold 1939 to P/r /Otto Kjær, Trøsøysund, Tromsø, then sold again to J. Jørgensen A/S, Finnsnes, Tromsø, year not known.

WW II: In the "replacement route" to Finnmark from March 31-1942 until July 22-1943 (see Skandfer). Used by the Germans in the fall of 1944 during evacuations of Hammerfest; loaded with stoves etc. before the town was burnt.

POST WAR: Owned by Paul Strøm, Honningsvåg, Tromsø in 1945, used as freighter. Sold in 1955 to S/a Storsild (A.Kolstad) Honningsvåg and renamed Storhav (fishery No. F-190-NK). Sold in 1966 to Ragnar Breisnes, Lavik, Sogn, used as freighter. Sold on Febr. 27-1976 to Magnar Vevle, Isdalstø. Sold on March 12-1976 to Alf Kobbeltvedt, Os, freighter. Sprang a leak on Nov. 21-1976 and sank near Fusa.

(Sources: Pre war and post war info received from T. Eriksen, Norway, WW II info from "Hjemmeflåten - Mellom venn og fiende", Lauritz Pettersen).

M/S Evina
H. E. Hansen-Tangen, Kristiansand S
6121 gt
Built in Newcastle upon Tyne 1930.

Seized by the Germans in 1940 and renamed Zabern, reported on Baltic and North Sea voyages in Sept.-1944. At Kiel Fjord on May 8-1945, returned to Norway as Evina.

Picture of Evina - Source: Markus Berger.

Related Guestbook message.

D/S Eystein
Lauritz A. Skjong, Måløy
113 gt
Built in Bergen 1901.

Pre war history: Delivered in 1901 from A/S Mjellem & Karlsen, Bergen as fishing vessel Eystein to A/S Skjerva (M. Knutsen & B. A. Løvold), Ålesund. Steel hull, steam engine. Among other uses, fishing for halibut at Tampen and Storegga, also fishing near Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Owned in 1903 by A/S Skjerva (M. Knutsen), Ålesund, fishery No. M-165-A. Rebuilt and lengthened in 1907, 11.9’. Owned in 1923 by Åsmund Knudsen, Ålesund (M-165-A). As per 1930 she was owned by Den Vesten-Nordenfjeldske Skipshypotekforening, ? / Åle (creditor?). Sold that year to Lauritz A. Skjong e.a, Måløy (SF-1-SV), used in the winter and spring as seiner - skipper was owner's son, Sigurd Skjong. Rebuilt in 1937 and lengthened, 17.1’.

WW II: Requisitioned by Den Kongelige Norske Marine (Royal Norwegian Navy) on Apr. 14-1940. Used by Sognefjorden S/A as guard vessel, commanded by owner L. A. Skjong. Returned to owner on May 2-1940, went back to Måløy with civilian crew. Requisitioned by the Kriegsmarine (KMD Oslo) on Sept. 6-1940 and used as patrol vessel by Hafenschutz-Flotille Molde / C-gruppe. Returned to owner on July 5-1941. Fitted out as seiner in Dec.-1941, stayed in Måløy over the Christmas season. Bombed and set on fire during the Måløy raid on Dec. 27-1941, and was on fire for several days due to the coal bunkers on board, but remained afloat (see also Maaløy and Sneland). Condemned in Jan.-1942 and taken over by unknown insurers. Sold back to Lauritz A. Skjong m.fl., Måløy "as-is" that same year. Repaired at Bolsønes Verft, Molde in 1943, ready for the winter herring season in Dec.-1943.

POST WAR: Rebuilt in 1947, a 6cyl 4tev MWM 270bhp motor installed (1926, from German cruiser Königsberg, which had been sunk in Bergen harbour during the war), but motor did not function satisfactorily. As per 1954-'55 she was 101.5’ x 18.5’ x 9.1’, 118 gt, about 160 tdwt, 1700hl. In 1948 a 2tev Alpha dm 240bhp (1948) motor was installed, 9 knots. Had engine problems off Utsira on June 28-1953, and was towed by salvage vessel Uller to Kopervik for repairs. Owned in 1953 by L. A. Skjong & Co. KS (Lauritz A. Skjong, Alfred Nygård & Alfred Grønnevik), Måløy (SF-1-SV). Sold in 1955 to Gerh. Midtveit, Tælavåg (H-73-S). Hired out in 1961 to Norsk Selskab til Skibbrudnes Redning (rescue company), and used as weather forecaster and rescue vessel in the North Sea.

On Jan 23-1962 Eystein had just returned to position 56 37N 03 27E in the North Sea after having taken on supplies and exchanged crews in Egersund. That morning there were strong winds in the area, and a heavy sea washed over the ship, causing a leak, though several hours passed before this was spotted. At 18:00 that afternoon the crew was picked up by the tanker World Seafarer and taken to Hamburg, while Eystein sank.

(Info received from T. Eriksen, Norway - His sources: "Havsølv" by Leo Oterhals, 1996, Theodor Dorgeist, Atle Wilmar through this thread on my Ship Forum, and other misc.).

Related external link:
Allied raid on Vågsø and Måløy

to top of page

  A Ba–Bl Bo–Bø C D E F G Ha He–Hø I J K L  
  M N O P R Sa–Sn So–Sø Ta-Ti To-Ty U V WYØÅ  

 Homefleet Main page 

Updates / Messages | Sources & Acknowledgments

Ships in Sweden | Pictures of ships | Survivors / Fatalities | Krigsseilerhistorier / Warsailor Stories