Maritime Books Market Place :  Warsailors.com Warsailors.com

Norwegian Merchant Fleet WW II | 100 Most Recent Ship Forum Postings | Forum Tips
Use this forum for selling and buying books, requesting scans from books, if you're looking for advice on where to find a book, or for any other query pertaining to maritime literature. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Risdon Beazley
Posted by: Roy Martin (87.242.138.---)
Date: August 21, 2006 01:39AM

With help from the many people who have contacted us, we have expanded our history of this salvage company, it now runs to 145 pages with many photographs. We hope to have it finished by the end of this year, 2006.

We cannot decide whether to publish the book on a CD only, cost about £7.50 plus P&P (£5 to those who bought the earlier edition) or as a soft covered book at about double that price - any feedback would be appreciated. PLEASE DO NOT SEND MONEY AT THIS STAGE!

Further details are on my new website www.risdonbeazley.co.uk - I may be changing my ISP in the near future but can be contacted through the website or at roymartin@risdonbeazley.co.uk.

Regards to all,

Roy Martin

Re: Risdon Beazley
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 25, 2006 03:39PM

HI Roy

If you put it on CD you will sell one or two and the people who buy it will give free copies to everyone else, books, although a bit more to print, are a quite a bit harder to copy;)

Cheers Ron

Posted by: Roy Martin (88.144.8.---)
Date: August 27, 2006 06:58AM

Hi Ron,

Yes thanks for your advice, what I have to work out in my own mind is whether that matters to me. Our reason for writing the book was to 'spread the word', also I am loath to lay out £500, or more, up front! Anyway that is my problem.

Cheers

Roy

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 27, 2006 12:52PM

Hi Roy

I can understand your loathing to spend so much up front, but why not shop around for a publisher who does not take money up front and in fact takes all the cost on themselves. There are one or two who may be interested, ie., World Ship Society being one, but there are others too.

Cheers Ron

Posted by: Roy Martin (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 02:50AM

Only three books have made more than a passing mention of this bold,
but reserved, marine salvor; who was an asset to Britain in war and peace. Two refer to his post war cargo recovery work and the third, an earlier book by these writers, was limited in size.

Using much unpublished information, including the personal experiences of those who worked for him in war and peace, the book shows the contribution that he made to the war effort by removing thousands of shipwrecks from ports and beaches at home and abroad.

After the war Risdon Beazley went on to do equally valuable Worldwide
salvage work; much of which benefited the UK exchequer and helped in
times of national need.

In 145 pages, with 50 photographs, the book has a laminated soft cover. The writers, both former RB salvors, have produced this book as a tribute to the man and to the thousands of people who worked for him in the fifty-five years that the company existed.

Published in December 2006, priced at £14.99 plus post & packing.
(discount of £3 for those who bought the earlier book!)

Can be ordered from sales@risdonbeazley.co.uk or
Roy Martin Brook House Roman Road Chilworth Southampton SO16 7HE

Posted by: Walter Janssens (---.haven.antwerpen.be)
Date: November 30, 2006 04:10AM

Hi all,

I've been privileged to read the book already and found it a great and enjoyable reading. I would very strongly recommend the book to everyone who's interested in salvage operations or maritime matters in general.

It contains lots of background information on salvage operations and describes an aspect of World War II operations that is less known.

Regards,

Walter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.