Site Map | Search |Merchant Fleet Main Page | Home 

M/S Heina
Updated Oct. 12-2011

To Heina on the "Ships starting with H" page.

Crew List

The above picture was received from Historical Department, MAN B&W Diesel, Copenhagen - possibly taken at trials(?). See also their museum website

Picture received from Sverre Johansen (postcard collection).
(Please note, that when people send me pictures, I can't always be 100% sure that these are of the WW II ships, or of a previous/later ship by the same name. Please do let me know if any of the pictures I've posted on this site shows the wrong vessel).

Manager: A/S J. Ludwig Mowinckels Rederi, Bergen
4028 gt, 2417 net, 7625 tdwt.
Signal Letters: LEVA

Delivered from Københavns Flydedok & Skibsværft, Copenhagen, Denmark in Febr.-1925 as Heina to A/S J. Ludwig Mowinckels Rederi, Bergen. 377.8' x 52.2' x 24.5', 8 cyl. 4 TEV DM (B&W, Copenhagen), 1750 bhp.

Captain: Alfred H. Aardahl.

Related item on this website:
A story by Peder Kristoffer Langeland, who served on this ship from March-1941 till Nov.-1941 (text in Norwegian only - some details from his story have been quoted in the text below).

Her voyages are listed on these original images from the Norwegian National Archives:
Page 1 | Page 2

Please compare the above voyages with Arnold Hague's Voyage Record below.

Voyage Record
From June-1940 to Febr.-1942:

(Received from Don Kindell - His source: The late Arnold Hague's database).

Follow the convoy links provided for more information on each.

Several voyages are missing.

Departure From To Arrival Convoy Remarks
1940 June 13 Southend OA 167 Earlier voyages, see narrative below.
Also, Page 1
For Boston.
Dispersed June 16.
Convoy available at OA 167
(external link)
Page 1 gives arrival June 26.
Also, missing movements.
July 19 Halifax Liverpool Aug. 3 HX 59
Aug. 24 Liverpool OB 203 Dispersed 56 32N 21 26W, Aug. 28.
Convoy available at OB 203
(external link)
Page 1 gives arrival Philadelphia Sept. 6.
Also, more missing voyages.
Sept. 30 Halifax Liverpool Oct. 15 HX 77 Convoy will be added.
See ships in HX convoys
Nov. 17 Liverpool OB 244 Dispersed Nov. 22.
Page 1 gives arrival Halifax Dec. 4.
Also, missing voyages.
1941 Jan. 11 Halifax Liverpool Jan. 29 HX 102
March 5 Liverpool OB 294 Dispersed 51 29N 20 30W, March 9.
Convoy available at OB 294
(external link)
Page 1 gives arrival Halifax March 17.
Also, missing voyages.
Apr. 25 Halifax Liverpool May 13 HX 123
June 2 Liverpool OB 330 For Halifax.
Dispersed June 7.
Convoy available at OB 330
(external link)
Page 1 gives arrival Halifax June 13.
Also, missing voyages.
July 6 Halifax Sydney, C.B. July 15 HX 137 Returned
July 16 Sydney, C.B. Liverpool July 31 HX 139
Aug. 16 Liverpool ON 8 For Halifax.
Dispersed 56 09N 44 32W, Aug. 25
Page 2 gives arrival Halifax Aug. 30.
Also, missing voyages.
Sept. 16 Halifax Liverpool Sept. 30 HX 150
Oct. 16 Liverpool ON 27 For Halifax.
Dispersed Nov. 2.
Page 2 gives arrival Nov. 4
(also, missing voyages)
Convoy will be added.
See ships in ON convoys
1942 Jan. 26 Halifax Returned Jan. 28 HX 172 Had arrived Halifax Jan. 24
(Page 2).
Jan. 30 Halifax SC 67 Sunk - See "Final Fate" below

 Misc. Voyages 1939-1941: 
From Roger Griffiths, England, I've received Heina's movement card, found at the Public Records Office in Kew. These can be hard to decipher at times, so in order to prevent misinterprating the info and thereby spreading errors, I've just extracted the main points.

Follow the convoy links provided for more info, several Norwegian ships took part.

She made a voyage from Portland, Oregon to Taku Bar in Febr./March-1939, proceeding to Saigon towards the end of Apr., from there to Calicut with a cargo of rice, May-1939. At the end of May she went to Navallaki, later to Calcutta with a cargo of salt, then to Shanghai at the end of July, arrived Aug. 13, on to Port Townsend, and later to Tocopilla; by that time it was Oct.-1939. She now headed to Savannah (arrived Nov. 8), later on to Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York (arrived Nov. 16), and subsequently made a voyage to Antwerp and Rotterdam, bringing us to Dec.-1939 (there's a brief mention of a collision in River Schelde on Dec. 17, but no further details on this). Some cargoes mentioned in this period are tin plate, naphtalene, acetone and wheat.

In Jan.-1940, she returned to the U.S., then back to Antwerp and Rotterdam in Febr.-1940, from there to Le Havre, then back to New York (March-1940) and Baltimore (Apr.-1940). From Baltimore via New York to Le Havre, Rotterdam and Antwerp (? - comparing this with Page 1, we find that she was diverted to London, where she arrived May 26 - as can be seen, she had been in Philadelphia when war broke out in Norway on Apr. 9). Some cargoes in this period are given as steel, tin plate and coffee. At the end of May, she was in London (as mentioned) where some repairs were undertaken and degaussing installed, before she returned to the U.S. in June-1940. In fact, she's listed as bound for Boston in Convoy OA 167, which left Southend on June 13 and dispersed on the 16th - see link provided within the table above. Other Norwegian ships listed in this convoy are Lysaker IV, Troja and Tungsha (Svint was also scheduled, but did not sail). Heina arrived Boston June 26, New York July 4, later proceeding to Halifax for a convoy to Liverpool, joining Convoy HX 59 on July 19, general cargo. On Aug. 24, she left Liverpool for Philadelphia and Norfolk (with Idefjord, Nea, Ringstad, Sama, Thalatta and Thorshavn, she's listed in Convoy OB 203, which left Liverpool on Aug. 24 and dispersed on the 28th, Heina arriving Philadelphia Sept. 6, Hampton Roads on the 8th, according to the archive document - again, ref. external link in Voyage Record). From Hampton Roads, she proceeded to New York, then on to Halifax, leaving Halifax again on Sept. 30 in order to head back to Liverpool, with arrival there Oct. 15, having sailed in Convoy HX 77, in which Brandanger and Davanger were sunk - follow the links for details. This convoy is not yet available among the HX convoys listed in my Convoys section, but will be added; for now, the ships sailing in it are named in the section listing ships in all HX convoys. Heina left Liverpool about a month later with Convoy OB 244 for another voyage across the Atlantic, and arrived Halifax on Dec. 4, the convoy having been dispersed Nov. 22. This convoy also lost several ships, as will be seen when following the link.

At the beginning of the new year, she was again in Halifax, having arrived there from New York on Jan. 8-1941, leaving on Jan. 11 with Convoy HX 102, bound for River Mersey with a general cargo, with arrival Jan. 29. She now remained in Liverpool for quite a long time (again, see Page 1), before returning to Halifax at the beginning of March. In a report to Naval Control, Halifax, dated Halifax, March 17-1941, the captain states the following:

"M/S Heina left Liverpool March 5th in convoy*. Saturday March 8 a German bomber over the convoy dropped several bombs without hit. Position about 53 02N 14 35W. Sunday March 9th at Forenoon an enemy submarine sighted by escort vessels, position 51 45N 19 30W. The same afternoon at 20:30 all ships left. Monday March 10th a mystery ship sighted on our starboard side about 9-10 miles off. We passed the ship very quick, and I believe she was stopped. About one hour later she was under way and headed several directions, twice on to our direction, and then suddenly changed to steer about ESE with good speed. Half an hour later she was out of our vicinity. The ship had 3 masts and one funnel. One of the masts was just astern of the boatdeck. That was in position about 51 21N 26 50W".

* This was Convoy OB 294, from which the Norwegian Bianca, among others, was sunk, and Polykarp was captured - follow the links for more details. OB 294 left Liverpool on March 5-1941 and was dispersed in 51 29N 20 30W on the 9th - see link in the Voyage Record; Hada County is also named. Heina arrived Halifax on March 17, continuing to Philadelphia 2 days later, arriving March 23 (Page 1).

From Philadelphia, she sailed to New York the next day, arriving March 26. Peder Langeland, whose story has been added to my Norwegian Warsailors Stories section, joined the ship there on March 31. She subsequently remained there for quite a long time, before proceeding to Halifax for convoy on Apr. 22, departing on Apr. 25 in Convoy HX 123, bound for Liverpool with general cargo, with arrival May 13. See also the cruising order/Commodore's notes.

 A Rescue 1941 & More Voyages: 

Heina left Liverpool again on June 1-1941 in order to return to Halifax (joining Convoy OB 330 - external link - Ingerfem and Noreg are also named). On this voyage (on June 11?), she rescued survivors from the British M/T Wellfield from the dispersed Convoy OB 328 (also external page) which had been torpedoed by U-48 in the early morning hours of June 5-1941 (48 34N 31 34W) - see the external link provided below for more on this attack. A thank you note was later received, dated Halifax July 13-1941 (should this be June 13?) with the following words (translated from "Tusen norske Skip", Lise Lindbæk, 1943):

"We the undersigned wish to thank you, your officers and crew for the kindness and care which we received by your hand during our stay on board your ship. It was truly a happy fate that lead you to cross our path to save us from terrible suffering, grief and perhaps death itself. Only those who have experienced the strain of 4 days and nights in an open boat can fully understand the deep gratitude one is filled with, which words seem unfit to express. Therefore, we wish you Sir, and your crew good luck on your continued travels, and we pray God that the battle we as allies are now taking part in will end in victory and the freedom of your country. As we again thank you from the bottom of our hearts we sign with the greatest respect, members of the crew from M/T Wellfield: B. C. Bennett, J. L. Browne, F. C. Smith, G. W. Cruikshank, J. A. Taylor, E. R. Tomlinson, J. Sharples, F. Card, Leonard Heywood, Jeffrey Chequer, Ole Rovik, F. Nicholson, J. Kenny, C. H. Jones, John Reid".

This rescue is also mentioned by Peder Langeland, who says there were 19 survivors, but one died while being taken on board from the lifeboat., which I've linked to below, says Heina picked up 15 survivors, while 19 were picked up by British Ardour - 15 are named in the thank you note above. "Nortraships flåte" states that from Heina they had in fact seen a U-boat on the surface in the evening of June 9, in position 48 30N 31 40W. The boat had been seen about 4 n. miles away for 6 minutes, heading in an easterly direction at full speed. Captain Aardal did not immediately report the sighting, not wanting to break the radio silence, but did pass it on to a corvette 2 days later.

Heina arrived Halifax on June 13 and continued to New York a few days later (arrived June 18), leaving again on July 1 in order to go back to Halifax for a convoy to the U.K. She joined Convoy HX 137 on July 6, but returned to port (Sydney, C.B.). Her movement card says she required minor repairs July 6, completed July 8*, adding that she arrived Sydney N.S. on July 15 (agreeing with Page 1). She's listed in the Sydney, C.B. portion of Convoy HX 139 on July 17 (see also Page 2; the Commodore's report is also available for this convoy). Heina's voyage information is given as New York-Liverpool with 7042 tons of general cargo, arrival Liverpool July 31. Having undergone some repairs from Aug. 11 to Aug. 13, she left Liverpool for Halifax again on Aug. 15 (for this voyage, she's listed in Convoy ON 8), arriving her destination on Aug. 30, leaving Halifax for New York the next day, arriving Sept. 3, departing New York for Halifax on Sept. 12, arrival Sept. 14, then headed back to the U.K. on Sept. 16 with Convoy HX 150 (station 64) along with the Norwegian Fenris, Solfonn, Havkong, Garonne, Thorshavet, Topdalsfjord, Varanger (returned) and Braganza. A. Hague has also included Boreas. This convoy arrived Liverpool on Sept. 30-1941. (It'll be noticed that most of the details in this paragraph agree with the archive documents).

* The Commodore's notes for Convoy HX 137 state: "In the fog, the following ships lost touch with convoy between 01:00 on July 8 in 44 25N 57 27W and 12:00 on July 11 in 50 26N 47 52W - Taron, Heina, Hjalmar Wessel, Baron Dechmont, and Prins Willem III.

Peder Langeland also mentions another incident, which took place "some voyages later" (meaning, some voyages after the resue of Wellfield's survivors). She was again en route from Liverpool to Halifax in a convoy which was split up, the ships having various destinations. That same day, a U-boat came up behind them and started to fire. Heina's engines were pushed to their utmost, while their 2 English gunners returned the fire, but no hits were observed. This continued all day, until the weather worsened and they were finally able to get away in the dark. He says full speed was normally about 12 knots, but he remembers they were up to 17 knots when they got away (he worked in the engine room). This resulted in some damages to her engines so that she had to go straight to a yard where she stayed for 2 months. Peder Langeland paid off on Nov. 21, owing to the fact that she was going to the yard. Her movement card for that period states that (after having previously arrived with HX 150 as mentioned above) she had departed Liverpool for New York on Oct. 15-1941, with arrival New York on Nov. 7 (via Halifax Nov. 4). She had been in the westbound Convoy ON 27, which left Liverpool on Oct. 16 and dispersed Nov. 2. This convoy will be added to its own individual page in my Convoys section, but in the meantime, the ships sailing in it are named in the section listing ships in all ON convoys. As will be seen, several other Norwegian ships are included. Her movement card adds that the engine repairs were expected to be completed on Dec. 20-1941; this date was later changed to Dec. 31. Going back to Page 2, we see that she did not leave New York again until Jan. 21-1942.

Related external link:
The attack on Wellfield

 Final Fate - 1942: 

Early in 1942, the escort services in the North Atlantic were reorganized. The Americans had plenty enough to take care of closer to home (Operation Paukenschlag) and a great deal of the protection for Trans-Atlantic convoys was left to Canadian and European navy vessels. Instead of switching escorts half way, it was now decided to have the original group escort the convoy through the entire voyage. Londonderry and St. John's became the new terminal points (instead of Reykjavik as before). The first eastbound convoy under this system was SC 67, which departed Halifax on Jan. 30-1942, arriving Liverpool on Febr. 15.

After her repairs, Heina had proceeded from New York to Halifax (again, see Page 2), then joined Convoy HX 172 from there on Jan. 26-1942, but she returned to port, subsequently joining the slower SC convoy on Jan. 30. This is confirmed by her movement card, which says she had sailed from New York Jan. 21, arriving Halifax Jan. 24, left Jan. 26 in HX 172, arrived Halifax Jan. 28 with the words "put back" in parenthesis, and "engine trouble repaired Jan. 29", then sailed from Halifax on Jan. 30 in Convoy SC 67. She was bound for Liverpool with 7700 tons general cargo in station 74 (72?) of this convoy, escorted by Canadian corvettes, among others.

In the evening of Febr. 10-1942, she was hit by a torpedo on the port side near No. 2 hatch, causing her to list heavily to port, position 56 09N 31 09W* (this position is according to a report presented at the maritime hearings). The captain, who was on the bridge with the 3rd mate was knocked unconscious by the cement slabs falling down on the port side. 3 men jumped overboard with a raft, while the remaining crew launched both lifeboats. They were picked up by one of the escorts, the corvette HMCS Dauphin about an hour after the attack, and the captain was immediately given medical treatment. The corvette also found the 3 on the raft. "Nortraships flåte" says Heina sank in 3 hours, while the above mentioned report indicates she was seen sinking by the bow at around 23:00, about an hour after the intitial attack.

The captain was taken to a hospital in Londonderry upon landing there on Febr. 13; the survivors left Londonderry for Glasgow on Febr. 14, where the maritime hearings were held on Febr. 21-1942 with the captain, the 3rd mate and the 1st engineer appearing.

*Jürgen Rohwer's "Axis Submarine Successes of World War Two" gives the position as 56 10N 21 07W and indicates that Heina was sunk by U 136 (Zimmermann), later possibly also hit by U-591 (Zetzsche), giving the date as Febr. 11 and time as 01:33 for the first attack (German time). "Nortraships flåte" gives the date as Febr. 10, adding she was in station 7 of the starboard column. This Norwegian source adds that a large column of flames had been observed ahead of Heina (time given as 21:50 - this time is also given on Page 2), the alarm was sounded while evasive maneuvers were taken so as not to run into what was believed to be a torpedoed ship, then she herself was hit. (J. Rohwer adds in a footnote: "U 136 observed another column of fire following a hit on a corvette [HMCS Spikenard] and later sighted debris and two lifeboats"). "The Allied Convoy System" by Arnold Hague states Heina was sunk by U-136 on Febr. 10. "The World's Merchant Fleets 1939" (Roger W. Jordan) gives the date Febr. 11 and U-591. Heina's movement card gives the sinking position as 56 08N 20 54W at 21:30 local time Febr. 10, 31 survivors. The corvette Spikenard was also sunk, by U-136 - ref. external link at the end of this page. (For info, U-591 was responsible for the attack on Norse King later that year).

Crew List - No Casualties:
The cook, Nicolai Holst, had previously served on Fernlane - after the loss of Heina he joined Norsktank, later served on Akershus and San Andres (see also this external page).
Able Seaman Thorvik had previously served on
Gudvor and Slemmestad. After the loss of Heina, he joined Inger Elisbeth and was on board when sunk. He later joined Laurits Swenson and Kirsten B. Here's a Guestbook message from a relative (see also this external page).
The 3rd engineer also served on Kong Haakon VII.
The name William Engvoldsen also appears in the crew lists for Siljestad and Stigstad - same person? If it is, he was torpedoed again just a few months after the loss of Heina, and a third time the following year - follow links for more details.

Alfred Herman Aardahl
1st Mate
Sverre Michelsen
2nd Mate
Samson Myrdal
3rd Mate
Hans Hansen
Radio Operator
Cann Allan Parker
Lars Hommersand
Alf Nygaard
Able Seaman
Einar Brune
Able Seaman
Fridolf Edquist
Able Seaman
Ludvig N. Johansen
Able Seaman
Alf Lie
Able Seaman
Ole Stornes Hansen
Able Seaman
Malvin Johan Thorvik
Able Seaman
Sigurd Hansen
Able Seaman
Anton Pedersen
1st Engineer
Arvid Christiansen
2nd Engineer
William Engvoldsen
3rd Engineer
Trygve Skaar
Arvid Frans Ponth
Gunnar Tømmervik
Ingvald Axel Lofstad
Harald Valin Hansen
Knut Eide
Murphy Henry*
Henry Olaf Madsen
Karl Fredrik Evensen
1st Cook
Nicolai E. Holst
2nd Cook
Kaare Bergene
Mess Boy
John Patten
+ 1 more survivor?
A British Gunner?

* I wonder if this should be Henry Murphy?

Related external links:
U-136 | U-591

Operations information for U-136

HMCS Dauphin - HMCS Spikenard can also be found on the site.

The attack on Spikenard

WW II Canadian Navy Ships

Back to Heina on the "Ships starting with H" page.

Other ships by this name: J. Ludwig Mowinckels Rederi had previously had a steam ship by the name Heina, originally delivered as Kingsland to Kingsland Steamship Co. Ltd., Cardiff, built 1905, 2876 gt. Renamed King Arthur in 1912 for Scottish Steamship Co. Ltd., Cardiff. Owned by A/S J. Ludwig Mowinckels Rederi under the name Heina from 1913 (picture is available if needed - my contact address is at the bottom of this page), but sold in 1921 to Reiersen & Matland, Haugesund and renamed Strudsholm. Sold again that same year to Sato Shokai Gosi Kaisha, Otaru and renamed Atsuta Maru N. 1, lost near Tsuchisaki, Japan on Aug. 27-1926. In June-1950 another Heina was delivered, built in Oslo, 5695 gt. Sold to Monrovia in 1967 and renamed Achaios. Sold to Piræus in 1973, renamed Sophia. Sold to Pakistan for breaking up in 1977, following a fire on board in Oct. that year. Another Heina was delivered to the company in June-1970, built in Middlesbrough, 16 972 gt. Sold to Piræus in 1980 and renamed Antar. Sold again in 1985 and renamed Flag Maria (Panamanian flag). From 1990 she sailed as Levant Pride (Panamanian flag), and from 1993 as Filipos for owners in Malta. Broken up 1998? Yet another Heina was delivered in June-1984, built in Japan, 27 962 gt. Sold in 1991 and renamed Auk Arrow for Kristian Gerhard Jebsen Skipsrederi A/S, Bergen, has since had various owners at Nassau, Bahamas (largely w/same managers).

The text on this page was compiled with the help of: "Nortraships flåte", J. R. Hegland, "Tusen norske Skip", Lise Lindbæk, 1943, "Sjøforklaringer fra 2. verdenskrig", Volume I (Norwegian Maritime Museum) and misc. others as named within the text above for cross checking info - ref. My sources.


 Site Map | Search |Merchant Fleet Main Page | Home