Site Map | Search |Merchant Fleet Main Page | Home 

M/S General Fleischer
Updated June 26-2009

To General Fleischer on the "Ships starting with G" page.

A picture showing her as Tortugas is available on this external page (click in it to make it larger).

Manager: Nortraship
5164 gt, 2824 net, 7945 dwt.
Dimensions: 119.13 (125.69 o.a.) x 18.34 x 11.43 m, 7570 m draught.
Machinery: 2x 6 cyl. 2 SCSA oil engines totalling 4150 bhp by Nordberg Manufacturing Co., Milwaukee geared to a single screw shaft.
Service Speed: 14.5 knots.

Note: The above is for Tortugas (her post war name) - I'm not sure if she had the same machinery etc. during the war.

Launched Jan. 17-1943 by Pennsylvania Shipyards Inc., Beaumont, Texas (Yard No. 269) as Cape Barnabas for the United States War shipping Administration. Completed in Apr-1943 as General Fleischer, and bareboat chartered to the Norwegian Government (Nortraship, managers). One of 10 (11?) ships added to Nortraship's Fleet in 1943, see my page "Ship Statistics and Misc." under "Gains 1943" for a list of the others. General Fleischer was taken over in Beaumont, Texas on April 30.

Captain: Arild Wergeland.

Her voyages are listed on these original images from the Norwegian National Archives:
Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3

Please compare the above voyages with Arnold Hague's Voyage Record below.

Voyage Record
From May-1943 to Oct.-1945:

(Received from Don Kindell - His source: The late Arnold Hague's database).

Follow the convoy links provided for more information on each.

Errors may exist, and some voyages are missing.

Departure From To Arrival Convoy Remarks
1943 May 2 Beaumont New Orleans May 3 Independent
May 12 New Orleans Cristobal May 16 Independent
May 19 Balboa Durban June 17 Independent
June 25 Durban WS 30 To Aden.
Detached independent, July 4.
Convoy available at WS 30*
(external link)
July 4 Detached from WS 30 Aden July 7 Independent
* When looking at the dates for this convoy, it seems as though the designation must be an error, but I believe there were several "branches" of this convoy, going to misc. ports. Or should it be WS 30D? (escorts only are named).
July 7 Aden Suez July 11 Independent Missing voyages, Page 1
July 26 Port Said Alexandria July 27 Independent
July 29 Alexandria Philadelphia Aug. 27 GUS 11 A. Hague says:
To Gibraltar for USA.
Convoy available at GUS 11
(external link)
Sept. 25 Philadelphia Cristobal Oct. 2 Independent
Oct. 3 Balboa Fremantle Nov. 3 Independent
Nov. 4 Fremantle Bandar Shahpour Nov. 23 Independent
Dec. 8 Bandar Shahpour Bahrein Independent
Dec. 10 Bahrein Bandar Abbas Independent
Dec. 11 Bandar Abbas PA 64 Detached Dec. 13.
Convoy available at PA 64
(external link)
Dec. 13 Detached from PA 64 Fremantle Dec. 28 Independent
1944 Jan. 4 Fremantle San Francisco Febr. 3 Independent
March 4 San Francisco Pearl Harbor March 11 Independent
March 16 Pearl Harbor San Francisco March 23 Independent
Apr. 6 San Francisco Bora Bora Apr. 17 Independent
Apr. 19 Bora Bora Tutuila Apr. 22 Independent
Apr. 26 Tutuila Funafuti Independent
May 5 Funafuti Suva May 8 Independent
May 9 Suva Lautoka May 15 Independent Notional sailing date
May 20 Lautoka Port Vila June 1 Independent A. Hague says:
Notional sailing date
Page 1 gives May 24
June 9 Port Vila Espiritu Santo June 10 Independent
June 22 Espiritu Santo Guadalcanal Independent
Aug. 3 Guadalcanal Los Angeles Aug. 24 Independent
Aug. 30 Los Angeles San Francisco Sept. 1 Independent
Sept. 10 San Francisco Pearl Harbor Sept. 16 Independent
Sept. 22 Pearl Harbor Eniwetok Independent
Oct. 7 Eniwetok Manus Independent
Oct. 12 Manus Hollandia Oct. 14 Independent
From Page 1, it looks like she made some unlisted voyages, then back to Hollandia, with arrival Dec. 9, departing again on the 12th. See also narrative below.
Dec. 12 Hollandia San Francisco Jan. 4-1945 Independent
1945 Jan. 10 San Francisco Balboa Independent Page 2 gives arrival Jan. 22
Jan. 22 Cristobal New Orleans Jan. 27 Independent
Febr. 12 New Orleans Galveston Febr. 15 Independent
Febr. 21 Galveston Casablanca March 8 Independent
March 8 Casablanca Passed Gibraltar March 9 CG 152 Convoy available at CG 152
(external link)
March 9 Passed Gibraltar Oran March 10 Independent
March 11 Oran Toulon March 14 UGS 76 Oran to Toulon.
Convoy available at UGS 76
(external link)
March 17 Toulon Marseilles March 17 Independent
March 25 Marseilles Oran March 27 Independent
March 28 Oran New York City Apr. 13 GUS 80 Convoy available at GUS 80
(external link)
Apr. 26 New York City Hampton Roads Apr. 27 Independent
May 8 Hampton Roads UGS 91 Detached May 12.
(date notional).
Convoy available at UGS 91
(external link)
May 12 Detached from UGS 91 Gibraltar Independent
May 19 Gibraltar Marseilles May 22 Independent
May 28 Marseilles Baltimore June 15 Independent (See also "Post War" below)
July 7 Baltimore Naples July 26 Independent See also Page 2
July 30 Naples Cape Henry Aug. 12 Independent
Aug. 19 Hampton Roads Charleston, SC Aug. 20 Independent
Aug. 30 Charleston, SC Santa Maria Sept. 7 Independent
Sept. 12 Villa de Porto Praia Bay Sept. 13 Independent
Sept. 18 Praia Bay Casablanca Sept. 21 Independent
Sept. 25 Casablanca New York City Oct. 5 Independent Subsequent voyages:
Page 2 & Page 3

 Misc. War Voyages: 

As mentioned further up on this page, General Fleischer was taken over by Nortraship in Beaumont on Apr. 30-1943. According to a personal story I have found she sailed to New Orleans on her first voyage under the Norwegian flag (this agrees with what can be found on Page 1 and Hague's Voyage Record). With a cargo for Russia(?) she was sent alone through the Panama Canal, around South America to the South Atlantic and Pacific to south Africa, then to Basra. She suffered some damages when encountering a storm near Cape Horn. Later, she returned to Philadelphia where her engines were overhauled before taking in a new cargo of ammunition for Egypt, a voyage taking 60 days. On her next trip she had a cargo of gas and other materials for the American army in the Pacific, and the engineers had to wear gas masks in the engine room. This cargo was distributed on various islands, before they headed for San Francisco and took on cargo for Australia, then went with supplies from there to New Zealand and various islands in the Pacific, back to San Pedro and San Francisco, then on to Guadalcanal carrying floating quay installations. The 3rd engineer on General Fleischer at this time (the author of this story) was Kristian Willumsen, who had previously served on Mosli, Thermopylæ and Trafalgar, and later joined Rio Verde and Skandinavia. (Please keep in mind that some details in these personal stories may be incorrect, as they were often written many years after the war, and it looks to me like the sequence of voyages has become somewhat mixed up in his narrative - please compare with her Voyage Record and archive document mentioned above).

The Americans had landed at Leyte Gulf on the Philippines on Oct. 19-1944. From day one Japanese aircraft attacked the forces and the accompanying convoys. The first Kamikaze suicide attack occurred on Oct. 21, with the Australian cruiser Australia its victim. General Fleischer is said to have been in a convoy which arrived Leyte Gulf on Oct. 24, and was immediately attacked, but escaped injury and anchored up off Tacloban, the northernmost bridgehead.

That night, in the Straits of Suriga and off the coast of Samar, American and Japanese battle ships fought one of the biggest sea battles in history. Several bombers flew in over Tacloban the next morning, one of them got a direct hit from General Fleischer, before it was shot down by American destroyers. General Fleischer now moved to Dulag, another bridgehead 12 n. miles further out. She was under attack that same afternoon, and for several days thereafter. Many planes were shot down, by General Fleischer as well as other ships.

On Nov. 12 the Kamikaze's arrived, hitting several ships in the area, some were shot down before they could do any damage. Two of General Fleischer's crew and two soldiers on board (gunners?) were injured. The following week was fairly quiet and General Fleischer went back to Tacloban to unload her cargo, but on the 19th the Kamikaze planes returned in full force, one hit General Fleischer but miraculously nobody was hurt. (Another hit the American Alcoa Pioneer, killing 6 gunners, injuring 13 crew. Yet another hit the American Cape Romano, no casualties). The attacks continued until Nov. 28.

General Fleischer left on Dec. 4 and was back in San Francisco on Jan. 4-1945. Her crew had experienced 203 air raids, had seen 48 enemy planes shot down, had themselves fired 151 shots with their 3" gun and 5500 with the 7 Oerlikons.

The gunners on board at that time deserve to be named: Adolf B. Ramstad, Modulf K. Tollefsen, Gunvald K. Hoveland, Lars O. Olsen, Ivar A. Røsstad, Åge Lander, Arthur B. Mikalsen, Thorvald Grimstad, Edward Edwardsen, Knut Knutsen, Finn Samuelsen, L. Jacobsen, Ivar Fjellbo, E. Beckstrøm and Egil Holmberg. Gunnery Officer was H. Aursland.

The Norwegian ship M/S Torrens arrived Leyte just a couple of days after General Fleischer had left, and endured much the same nightmare.

Together with the Norwegian Stiklestad, A. Hague has included General Fleischer in Convoy UGS 76, which originated at Hampton Roads on Febr. 22-1945 and arrived Gibraltar on March 10. General Fleischer, however, joined this convoy from Oran and was bound for Toulon, where she arrived March 14 - see Page 2. Later that month, she can be found in Convoy GUS 80 (departure Oran March 28, arrival Hampton Roads Apr. 13; General Fleischer arrived New York that day). Fernplant and Vardefjell are also listed. A. Hague also has her in Convoy UGS 91, which departed Hampton Roads on May 8. Follow the links provided within the table above.

Page 3 shows her voyages to June-1946.

For more information on the other Norwegian ships mentioned on this page, please see the alphabet index below, or go to the Master Ship Index.


General Fleischer was in a collision with the Brazilian Ayuruoca (ex Roland till 1917) on June 10-1945 (the Brazilian ship sank). From Page 2 of the archive documents, we learn that she was en route from Marseilles to Baltimore on that date. Purchased by Wilh. Wilhelmsen on Oct. 20-1946 and renamed Tortugas. Sold to Philippine President Lines Inc., Philippine Islands on May 16-1967 and renamed Emilio Aguinaldo, later that year renamed President Laurel. Renamed Lucky Nine in 1975. Sold on Apr. 28-1975 to Barracuda Shipping Inc. (Gulf Shipping Lines Ltd., managers), Somali Republic. Arrived Kaohsiung on Sept. 20-1975 and on Sept. 26 she was delivered to Nan Feng Steel Enterprise Co. Ltd. for scrapping.

Exernal links related to the text on this page:
HMAS Australia - Against the "Divine Wind", Kamikaze.

The Battle of Leyte Gulf

Back to General Fleischer on the "Ships starting with G" page.

The text on this page was compiled with the help of: "Nortraships flåte", J. R. Hegland, Wilh. Wilhelmsen's fleet list, "Krigsseileren", Issue No. 2 for 1974, "Tilbakeblikk" and misc. (ref. My sources).


 Site Map | Search |Merchant Fleet Main Page | Home