Maritime Books Market Place :  Warsailors.com Warsailors.com

Norwegian Merchant Fleet WW II | 100 Most Recent Ship Forum Postings | Forum Tips
Use this forum for selling and buying books, requesting scans from books, if you're looking for advice on where to find a book, or for any other query pertaining to maritime literature. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Old ships
Posted by: Lyn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 07:42PM

Does anyone know where to find information about older ships, the middle to late 1800s and early 1900s. I am trying to find a book that would have information on my relatives ships 3 of which are sailing ships and 1 is a steam ship. My relatives were from Norway although one spent the last years of his life in Hamburg (Capt. Nils Eilertsen). One ship is the Thor from Christiana Capt. Haakon Antonius Andresen (This may have been the ship that disappeared on its way from Bombay to Cape Town). From Stavanger is the Helios, Capt. Johan Eliassen and the Sjold, Capt. Nils Eilertsen. One more is the Sirius, this looks like a steam ship.I would love to include information about the ships, more than just their names, for our family history but do not know where to find the information. I would appreciate any help. Thank-you

Re: Old ships
Posted by: RolfK (---.ti.telenor.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 09:25AM

It is hard to fine any information in Norwegian books about the ships mentioned. However, in one called "Norske seilskuter" there is a picture of HELIOS.
You can also try this one and you will find some information.
[www.norsk-sjofartsmuseum.no]

Posted by: Wrecktec Ron (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2009 05:52AM

Hello Lyn

You might find info on them from this website:
[books.google.co.uk]

Cheers Ron

Posted by: Wrecktec Ron (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2009 05:52AM

Hello Lyn

You might find info on them from this website:
[books.google.co.uk]

Cheers Ron

Posted by: Lyn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2009 02:45PM

Thanks so much! I think that those links will help a lot. Now we can add a little bit more about the ships, to go with the pictures that we have of them, before we knew nothing but the names.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.