Maritime Books Market Place :  Warsailors.com Warsailors.com

Norwegian Merchant Fleet WW II | 100 Most Recent Ship Forum Postings | Forum Tips
Use this forum for selling and buying books, requesting scans from books, if you're looking for advice on where to find a book, or for any other query pertaining to maritime literature. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Liberty Ships and T2 Tankers
Posted by: Roger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2003 01:31PM

<HTML>Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a good reference book on this subject?

Thanks Roger.</HTML>

Re: Liberty Ships and T2 Tankers
Posted by: Ron (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2003 11:26AM

<HTML>Hi Roger

I don't know any books, but this site gives all the names
www.usmm.org/libertyships.html

Cheers Ron</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 02:01AM

<HTML>Hi Ron,
Did the obvious and looked on Amazon.Bingo!Liberty:The Ships That Won the War by Peter Elphick ISBN 1557505357. Comes well recommended. There is a good article on T2 Tankers, Ships Monthly, April 2002.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Roger.</HTML>

Posted by: Siri (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 14, 2003 06:58AM

<HTML>There's also a website about T 2 tankers - you'll find it on my links page [www.warsailors.com] in the section "other Maritime"

siri</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 10:00AM

<HTML>Hello Siri,
Thank you very much for the information, It's appreciated.
I am still finding my way around your most excellent Website, congratulations! you deserve credit.
regards Roger.</HTML>

Posted by: Siri (24.117.150.---)
Date: January 14, 2003 10:16AM

<HTML>Thanks Roger.

I guess it's getting so big now that it may not be as easy to navigate as I had planned / hoped. It's easy for me, of course, because I know exactly where everything is (and there are links to each and every section of the site at the bottom of each page), but please DO let me know if it's still not easy to find things, with suggestions for improvements if you have any. Remember also that there's a link to the search feature on each page, you'd be surprised what you might find by using that! I even use it quite often myself.

siri</HTML>

Posted by: Rolf Skiold (62.119.24.---)
Date: January 28, 2003 03:31PM

<HTML>There is the book "The Liberty Ships" by L.A.Sawyer and W.H.Mitchell (The history of the 'Emergency' type Cargo ships constructed in the United States during the second World War, ISBN 1-85044-049-2 (Lloyd's of London Press Ltd). I think I buy this one of World Ship Society, why not try tho find it there.
Rolf</HTML>

Posted by: Mike Todd (---.bc.hsia.telus.net)
Date: April 18, 2003 01:34AM

<HTML>Try "the Last Mission Tanker" by walter w jaffe.I picked it up on the San fransico wterfront a couple years ago
isbn 0-9637586-5-9 the Glencannon press.About one of the last T2's produced.
Cheers..</HTML>

Posted by: Al Roth (---.158.6.61.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: January 17, 2005 11:29AM

I recently received a computer and found your web sight. I was on the Sarah Orne Jewett in WWII. I am interested in finding anyone who might have sailed on that ship. I was a Navy signalman in 1942 and sailed from San Pedro Ca. West and rounded south Africa and ended up in New York City. Thank you for this web sight. Al Roth

Date: January 17, 2005 11:34AM

I am getting used to the computer and enjoyed the liberty ship web sight. I was on the ship Sarah Orne Jewett in WWII. I was a signalman and sailed around the world with her. I am interested in finding anyone who might have been on that ship. I left San Pedro Harbor Ca. and headed West until we arrived in New York in 1942. I would appreciate any information. Thank you!

Date: January 17, 2005 11:35AM

I am getting used to the computer and enjoyed the liberty ship web sight. I was on the ship Sarah Orne Jewett in WWII. I was a signalman and sailed around the world with her. I am interested in finding anyone who might have been on that ship. I left San Pedro Harbor Ca. and headed West until we arrived in New York in 1942. I would appreciate any information. Thank you!

Posted by: john robson (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:22AM

I sailed for a year in TES Tribulus (T2 originally Stones River)1953/4. Did anyone else out there know her.

Posted by: John.bernard6@btinternet.com (---.range81-156.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 04:07PM

i served on 3 joe shell tankers =t2 TAGELUS-TROCHURUS & THAUMASTUS-- LOVELY SHIPS TO SAIL- DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PHOTOS OF EITHER OF THESE SHIPS OR VTELL ME WHERE TO FIND THEM- NEED THEM TO COMPLEYTE A COLLECTION OF SHIPS I SAILED ON THE 50,/& 60,S REGARDS JOHN BERNARD

Posted by: John.bernard (---.range81-156.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 04:08PM

I served on 3 joe shell tankers =t2 TAGELUS-TROCHURUS & THAUMASTUS-- LOVELY SHIPS TO SAIL- DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PHOTOS OF EITHER OF THESE SHIPS OR VTELL ME WHERE TO FIND THEM- NEED THEM TO COMPLEYTE A COLLECTION OF SHIPS I SAILED ON THE 50,/& 60,S REGARDS JOHN BERNARD

Posted by: Bruce Buchan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 03, 2005 11:01AM

There is a small (2.5 x 4 inch) picture of
THAUMASTUS in the appendix of a book titled OCEAN FREIGHTS & CHARTERING by
C.F.H. Cuffley; originally published by Staples Press Ltd. The book is now out of print - I think that I have one of the last editions, 1978, published by Granada Publishing St. Albans/London.

If you cannot find a copy I might be able to e-mail the picture if yoiu canconfirm you e-mail address.

Regards,

Bruce Buchan

Posted by: A. Mason (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 30, 2005 06:43AM

please try WWW.Helderline.this shows all T2 tankers in Shell fleet with lots more Information alanm

Posted by: Gary Myers (---.client.dsl.net)
Date: August 11, 2005 03:08PM

Al,

My father served on the SS Sarah Orne Jewett also. He was on her for a cruise from the States to the Mediterranean and back, April '44 to September '44. Dad served in the engineroom as an oiler.

The Jewett was in the invasion fleet during the invasion of Southern France in Aug '44, and was close in to shore at the St. Raphael beach head, the only hotly contested beach head in that invasion. While she was offloading, the Jewett was hit by German shore fire, resulting in a hole in the number 2 hold at the waterline. The Jewett was pulled out of the line and sent back to Naples for temporary repairs and finally returned to New York for permanent repairs.

In Nov 1966, the Jewett ran aground in the Philippines and was declared a constructive total loss. She was broken up in 1967 in Taiwan.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.